- Consolidated sales of €9.4 billion (Q2 2021: €8.4 billion, +13.0 percent)
- Adjusted EBIT of €411 million (Q2 2021: €512 million, -19.8 percent)
- Adjusted EBIT margin of 4.4 percent (Q2 2021: 6.2 percent)
- Operating result of -€165 million (Q2 2021: €473 million, -134.8 percent)
- Net income of -€251 million (Q2 2021: €545 million for continuing and discontinued operations)
- Adjusted free cash flow of -€687 million(Q2 2021: €302 million for continuing and discontinued operations)
- CEO Nikolai Setzer: “We are making significant progress in the development and marketing of our technologies, with a strong order intake in Automotive. This shows that we have the right strategy and positioning.”
- CFO Katja Dürrfeld: “The current headwind is rather like a hurricane, but we are optimistic for the second half of the year. We are therefore maintaining our outlook for the current fiscal year.”
- High order volume of more than €6.0 billion in the Automotive group sector
- More than 300 original-equipment approvals for Continental tires in the electric vehicle segment
- ContiTech is expanding its industrial business in North America and Sweden
Hanover, August 9, 2022. Continental is looking ahead to the second half of the year with optimism and maintaining its outlook for the current fiscal year. As expected, the ongoing turbulent market environment had a noticeable impact in the second quarter of 2022, however. In particular, the geopolitical uncertainties as a result of the war against Ukraine, disrupted supply chains and massive price increases for raw materials, semi-finished products, energy and logistics, coupled with the shortage of electronic components and the consequences of the coronavirus lockdowns in China, heavily affected Continental’s results. At the same time, the technology company recorded a high order intake in the Automotive group sector of more than €6.0 billion.
Consolidated sales in the past quarter were €9.4 billion (Q2 2021: €8.4 billion, +13.0 percent), and adjusted EBIT was €411 million (Q2 2021: €512 million, -19.8 percent). This corresponded to an adjusted EBIT margin of 4.4 percent (Q2 2021: 6.2 percent).
“The market environment remained extremely challenging for automotive suppliers in the second quarter. At the same time, we are making significant progress in the development and marketing of our technologies, with a strong order intake in Automotive. This shows that we have the right strategy and positioning. Our most recent mobility study also supports this,” said Continental CEO Nikolai Setzer on Tuesday in Hanover.
As shown in the representative Continental Mobility Study published in July 2022, connectivity, automation and the user experience play a decisive role for the majority of people (in China, Germany, France, Japan, Norway and the USA) when purchasing a new vehicle. The car as well as the technology built into it must also remain intuitive to operate, safe and affordable. Continental is ideally positioned to deliver this across all group sectors – from vehicle electronics and tires to vegan surface materials.
Adjusted EBIT for the past quarter was above the reported EBIT of -€165 million. This was primarily attributable to accounting effects of around €370 million that had to be taken into account in the Automotive group sector as a result of higher interest rates. In connection with its business activity in Russia, Continental also impaired assets of around €75 million as a result of the additional sanctions imposed. Furthermore, there were restructuring expenses of €63 million in the ContiTech group sector in the second quarter of 2022, primarily for the Mobile Fluid Systems business area as a result of the transformation of certain production sites communicated at the end of June 2022.
These effects also had an impact on the net income achieved. This came to -€251 million in the second quarter of 2022 (Q2 2021: €545 million for continuing and discontinued operations). Adjustedfreecash flow was -€687 million (Q2 2021: €302 million for continuing and discontinued operations).
1. The website does not warrant the following:
1.1 The services from the website meets your requirement;
1.2 The accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the service;
1.3 The accuracy, reliability of conclusions drawn from using the service;
1.4 The accuracy, completeness, or timeliness, or security of any information that you download from the website
2. The services provided by the website is intended for your reference only. The website shall be not be responsible for investment decisions, damages, or other losses resulting from use of the website or the information contained therein
You may not reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, display, perform, publish, distribute, disseminate, broadcast or circulate to any third party, any materials contained on the services without the express prior written consent of the website or its legal owner.